Out with the old

If you were to walk into my kitchen, it would not be immediately apparent that, at heart, I am a girl who likes to be organized. I like things to have a place and to be neatly organized in a stylish, but practical way. It has to be easy to get at, easy to put away and logical. I have always enjoyed classing things and organizing things.

It would only take one look at my kitchen counter however, to believe exactly the opposite of me. There, you will see empty milk bags that children have left there instead of rinsing them and putting them in the recycling. You will see the occasional half-eaten and rusting apple. You will see an endless amount of toys and other miscellaneous objects that I have picked up off the floor with the intention of returning them back to whence they came. Papers abound, as do stamps, crayons, and other office paraphernalia. My counter is, 80 % of the time, a catch-all for everything. And there is no room for me to prepare meals.

Every once in awhile I get sufficiantly annoyed, clean everything off, return things to their proper nesting grounds, and I have a clean counter for a whole day. Then objects come creeping back.

I had a plan for this. A plan I may end up carrying out on my own if my mental sanity relies on it. A kind of office area to liberate my counter. I am not there yet.

This week, I started doing some serious cleaning of shelves and the pantry. I am about half done, after 3 or 4 days on the job. I am continually interupted by "more dodo" (breastfeeding), various errands, appointments and other duties, as well as soccer, school and homework. I got to the corner where some of my spices are, and that's it, I decided, I'd had enough of some spices there, some spices on top of the stove, some over here, and some down under there. The spice/utensil holder was old and broken:


I went out and got the ultimate spice holder/organizer that I have been thinking about for months now. It liberates counter space, it uses space that was previously unusable, and when you shut the door, you can't see it anymore. Is that a spice rack or is that a spice rack?

I placed the utensils in this lovely pitcher that was just sitting there, on top of the cabinets, gathering a thick (and I mean thick) layer of dust. (Sticky dust, it was really hard to get off!!)


Okay, so the counter on the other side is still a relative mess, (I've seen worse, then again, I've seen it better,) but the counters on this side are mostly clean, the tops of the cabinets are clean, the shelves and everything on them are clean, and I have gotten rid of a few things that nobody will even remember they had. (Shhhhhh, don't tell my husband.)

Feels good.

Comments

  1. I like your spice solution - you have a ton of spices!!! I'm wondering how much that cost (time and money) to set up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Money-wise... not too expensive, unless you buy four like I did. They were just under $30 Can. And mounting them isn't too hard, It took me all of 2 minutes to screw the screws, it's a bit longer to measure the exact place you want the screws to go, but not too bad either. Then you just slide the thing into place like a picture frame. The spice rack is metal and the spice containers have a magnetized bottom, so they stick to the rack or come off easy as pie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sectes

Megamind

Against the Unweaving