five books meme (from Jess at Days Go By)
1. Take five books off your bookshelf.
2. Book #1 -- first sentence
3. Book #2 -- last sentence on page fifty
4. Book #3 -- second sentence on page one hundred
5. Book #4 -- next to the last sentence on page one hundred fifty
6. Book #5 -- final sentence of the book
1. Five books from the bookshelf in the livingroom upstairs. All books either currently reading (#1) or just finished (#2-5)
2. About twelve miles from Colombo, the capital of Sri Lanka, that country's only international airport was bustling. In Contempt of Fate, The tale of a Sri Lankan sold into servitude, who survived to tell it by Beatrice Fernando.
3. When Giemma left the farm, I did my best to keep out of that woman's way Escape from Slavery, The true story of my ten years in captivity- and my journey to freedom in America by Francis Bok.
4. As William Law says, "If you will consult your heart in all honesty, you will know that there is only one reason why you are not even now a saint: you do not wholly want to be" (A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life). Angels (and Demons) What do we really know about them? by Peter Kreeft.
5. Then changing the tone of the conversation, Mike reintroduced himself, offering Brandon a friendly handshake. "The name's Mike Ledoux. I'm Joanie's cousin and I play keyboards with New Spring." Arms of Love by Carmen Marcoux.
6. But old Nokes thumped his stick on the floor and said roundly: "He's gone at last! And I'm glad for one. I never liked him. He was artful. Too nimble, you might say." Tales from the Perilous Realm - Smith of Wootton Major by JRR Tolkien.
And I'm going to tag Deo Gratias (si tu veux le faire en français) and whoever else wants to do this.