Headache City

I went to bed with Nicolas at 8:30 pm last night. Just as I was drifting off to sleep, Dominic came and woke me up. And then I couldn't get to sleep again. I was just too wide awake. In fact, I couldn't sleep at all until Nicolas woke up at about 11:00 to drink. He was up again at about 3:00 am and 5:30 am. I have to get the kids up at 6:30 for school, so I didn't get all that much sleep.

So by this afternoon, I was starting to get a major headache. I ended up having to banish the kids all outside for awhile after supper, because they were all making so much noise and hurting my head even more and it's always when I have a headache that I don't have energy to keep them quiet... Jean-Alexandre doesn't shriek anymore, but the others can't talk without yelling, they all still have high-pitched voices and half the time they are shrieking because one is doing something that the other doesn't like... so I had the baby crying, three kids shrieking, the dog running after the kids and barking... the TV on to boot... just not fun...

Two advil, two HUGE mugs of coffee and some peppermint essential oil (rubbed on my temples and forehead) later, my headache is gone, but the "tenderness" or the pressure is still there. My mother would say: "My head isn't feeling right." My mother gets migraines. I don't, thankfully. I just get bad headaches. I have the sensibility to light sometimes and definitely sensibility to noise, but I bet it's nowhere near as bad as when you have a migraine. It's always because I'm tired, and goes away with sleep. (Unlike a migraine)

Why do kids have to shriek anyway? My household is so loud. We keep telling them to talk more quietly, especially since the louder they talk, the higher-pitched their voices seem to get... I mean, we're right there, a few feet away and they're talking really loud at us, like we were 50 feet away...

Then (especially when I have a headache) I lose patience and yell at them to stop yelling. Now how hypocritical is that? (Of course, if I told them calmly to be quiet, noone would hear me anyway,... and usually by then, I have no energy to tackle them one by one...)

Is a quiet household one of those things you only think others have, a utopia that is unrealistic, or is it actually possible to have many children and quiet in the house while they are all still awake... How does one get this if it is possible? Were WE that loud? Whatever happened to "children should be seen and not heard"? How did those people manage to have kids that were seen and not heard? Well, I wouldn't quite want that, but couldn't there be some kind of happy medium?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Megamind

Sectes

Against the Unweaving