A woman of value

Went to see some old friends of Marc's yesterday evening. I had never met them yet, but Marc knew them at least 13 years ago. They are both polish. We had a good time (and Maryssa wanted to go back this morning, and Dominic wanted to stay the night last night).

It was so nice, because at one point A. was saying how hard it is to find a woman these days (especially a young woman) who is willing to have five children with you, and basically saying that I was a lucky find for Marc, that he had such a beautiful family, that he was rich that way, that such a woman, (one open to having that many children) was a woman of value, etc, etc. How nice to hear!!!

What was even nicer was that there was no opinion offered on how many children we should have, when we should stop, or if we should stop or keep on going, etc.... I hate it when people come out and tell me "I hope this is your last one!" I feel slightly uncomfortable when people get all surprised and say how "courageous" I am, because underneath that, there is always a kind of undertone meaning how "crazy" I am as well. I also realize that I really do not like being told, "I hope this isn't your last one" either. And I have gotten this from the more traditional, conservative Catholic side of my friends and family. How many children I have is none of anyone's business. If Marc and I decide NOT to try for more children, because there is no more room in the mini-van, and we don't know where we'd fit another bed into our house, etc, etc, that is none of anyone's business. We don't even know where we are going to fit this new one in the house once he/she and Gabriel get too old for toddler beds/cribs! If we DID decide to have one anyway, (highly unlikely) or if another one came "by accident" then that is ALSO none of anyone's business.

This all reminds me of today's first reading: (smile)

Prv 31:10-13, 19-20, 30-31

When one finds a worthy wife,
her value is far beyond pearls.
Her husband, entrusting his heart to her,
has an unfailing prize.
She brings him good, and not evil,
all the days of her life.
She obtains wool and flax
and works with loving hands.
She puts her hands to the distaff,
and her fingers ply the spindle.
She reaches out her hands to the poor,
and extends her arms to the needy.
Charm is deceptive and beauty fleeting;
the woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Give her a reward for her labors,
and let her works praise her at the city gates.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sectes

Megamind

Against the Unweaving