Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Alone but not lonely... (from Juana la Cubana)

On my island I have no husband, I have no children, I have no job, no errands to run... I am alone, but not lonely. I eat coconuts and go fishing. I sweep the dirt floor of my hut and then my housecleaning is done because I have so little that there is very little to clean. I have a few visitors from time to time, Aquaman and the Gypsy Queen,... but mostly I am alone, except for the parrots. There are parrots on my island. They fly around squawking and I do not have the patience to try to teach them to speak.

I have time for painting on my island, and noone to get into my stuff while I am at it. I draw and I paint. I am an artist in my soul. I write poetry and then I rip it up and burn it in the fire if I don't like it which I often do not.

I have no phone, (except for my satelite phone, which needs to be charged), and mail is never delivered to my island.

The sun is shining today. I am alone, I have not had a visit in awhile. The parrots are doing their thing, and I am breathing poetry, but I do not write it except in the sand with a stick where the waves and the tide will eventually do away with it.

I have loved and I have been loved, this is what is important. I am at peace. I close my eyes and the smell the salt air and feel the breeze on my face and tugging at my hair. Here, there is nothing unnecessary, life is simple.