Monday, April 06, 2009

Now what?

In the past year or two, we have probably spent enough money on our current minivan to buy another used (but more recent) one. Last fall, for instance, it was the transmission. We went through 3 of them in a row, before it was finally taken care of properly. Then the support for the engine started making the car shake like we were about to lose a wheel or something. (Still not taken care of) and the manifold had to be changed, and that is just in the past few months.

Today, the darn thing sits in my driveway, useless, because it won't start. It turns all right, it just won't start. So it seems we don,t have time to get one thing fixed before a new problem shows up.

I am starting to think that a horse and buggy would be more reliable.

There are advantages to living in a city. Public transportation for one. I wouldn't have to rely on the van so much, my kids could take the bus themselves instead of having to be driven everywhere...

But I like the country, the open spaces, the large yard, the cornfields in back. I like the pond in front of my house. I don't want to live in a city. I come from a small town in the middle of nowhere.

Come to think of it, living in a small town in the middle of nowhere, like Moose Factory, wouldn't be so bad either. I could just walk to the grocery store from my house, no matter where in town my house was, because wherever it was, it wouldn't be more than a 15 minute walk. Then I could just put all the bags on my trusty wheelbarrow and walk back home.

Just like my father used to do, over 20 years ago. Usually with one or more kids tagging along beside him and a small one sitting on top of the boxes.

We used to enjoy this so much, that he even made us a mini wheelbarrow with the wheel from an old tricycle for us to play with. Oh the hours spent pushing each other around, and lugging things back and forth. Back when video games and home computers didn't exist.